Patrick ~ Alexis ~ Clayton ~ Maecie ~ Lucie



Thursday, November 4, 2010

30 Day Thank You ... Day 4


Today, I am thankful for the kindness of others. This morning I participated in a little service project of helping to sort food so that others could come and have enough meals for their family for the week. I was one of about 20 people who came out on a cold, rainy morning at 7am, to put unload a truck, sort food, and then fill orders for families.


Now, I'm not trying to toot my horn. It was the other people involved that impressed me the most. First of all, my husband had to stay home with the kids, and get a late start to his workday in order for me to attend this event. Isn't he great?! Secondly, many people had to donate money, time and food in order for this process to work. And this is not something that is done just because it's November and close to the holidays. This is done every two weeks to make sure that parents, children, and other adults are fed.


A perk for me during this morning of service, was having a sweet, older gentleman, who is also a family friend, comment about how skinny I looked. After having a baby, only 7 months ago, I feel like I am just now starting to reclaim my body. He was not required to send such a great compliment my way. But it has managed to put a smile on my face the whole day.


So, the moral of the story is, giving service offers double rewards. You are being kind to others, and in return, kindness will find it's way back to you.

2 comments:

  1. After you have had a baby, nothing is better than having someone tell you that you look skinny!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd be happy if anyone ever told me i looked skinny- regardless of the fact that i haven't had a baby.

    ReplyDelete