Patrick ~ Alexis ~ Clayton ~ Maecie ~ Lucie



Sunday, March 13, 2011

This, too, Shall Pass...

The title phrase, "This, too, shall pass," has been my go-to phrase for the last 3-1/2 years. When my sweet son was teething, he was a biter. And being in daycare, he bit his friends. So there were times I would get a phone call at work saying that he had bit someone. I felt like the mom of a bully! But was reminded that this phase will pass.


Then Clayton was 18 months and could climb out of his crib, walk into my room and crawl in the bed. I got little sleep, as I was trying to coax him back to his room. We decided to put him in a toddler bed to keep him from hurting himself, but this made bedtime tough! The phrase came back ... it's just a stage and this, too, shall pass.

Clayton is a mama's boy and would cry when I dropped him off at daycare. He would even cry when I went to the stage to lead the music at church! He could always see me, but he would cry. He would never go to nursery at church because of these feelings of separation anxiety, giving me no break at times. And I thought.... this, too, shall pass.


In every instance, the stage did pass. We made it through, and even though I remember the stages, I don't think they were all that bad after all.

Now Clayton is older. He has a younger sibling. I am at home with him all day. And of course, a new stage begins.


Lately, Clayton has become difficult to handle. He has always been an active guy. But these days it seems like he never stops. He bounces on furniture, he runs through the house. He likes to play fight but doesn't always know how to play softly and ends up hurting someone or himself. He doesn't listen to anything we ask and we have to repeat ourselves numerous times. He can destroy a room in seconds. When he is told he can't do something, he will go and hide under a bed or table and do it anyway.

I would like to think, this, too, shall pass. However, at this point, I think if I keep this as my go-to phrase, before long everything will have passed and he will be off to college or something. So my question to the blog world is, how do you enjoy each stage and not wish it away, no matter how difficult? How do you make the moment memorable?

I love my son. He makes me laugh! He plays well with his little sister. He loves to build, make crafts, read books, play pretend, work outside, and sing songs. When he goes to church, he attends his Sunday School class and does really well. Babysitters, teachers, and family all think he is great. He is well-behaved for everyone, but us. I generally try to highlight the good times, but want to enjoy each moment!

2 comments:

  1. If you find the answer to this one . . I wanna know!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So here is my answer ... a friend of mine just posted a bit on her blog and struggling to support her son in his "moments" too. She responded with something her mom told her. God has entrusted us with these special spirits because we are the ones who can handle them the best. It is totally up to us to care for them and guide them, and we will only be given what we can handle! So enjoy the moment because God believes you are doing the best job anyone can! That makes it all worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete