Patrick ~ Alexis ~ Clayton ~ Maecie ~ Lucie



Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Getting to the Garden

There is something about having a garden that makes me happy. Is it the feeling of being able to provide for my family without having to go to a store? Or is it the healthier food we are eating? Or could it just be that being able to grow something does wonders for the soul? Whatever the answer, I enjoy having a garden.





In 2007, we had a good garden. Okra, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini squash, basil, and rosemary. I actually canned tomatoes and make salsa and spaghetti sauce with them. However, for the last few years, things have just gotten too busy. Adding another child and Patrick's booming business has kept me from growing anything. So this year, I decided to remedy that!


I started about a week or so ago to plant seeds. I wanted them to sprout prior to putting them in the ground, so I started with planters. I planted tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, okra, cilantro, basil, carrots, lettuce, and spinach. I will still be planting green beans, peppers, and zucchini squash, too!


It has been interesting to see what has sprouted first. Of all things, it was the lettuce. I have been watering them well, keeping them in the sunlight during the day, and putting them in our storage building at night (just to keep animals away and protect from any bad weather).

Here are my cute little sprouts poking up:




Pushing up out of the soil on Day 1 of sprouting




Getting taller on Day 2 of sprouting


Really starting to fill in on Day 2 of sprouting


Now others are starting to sprout ... the corn, tomatoes, and basil. Can't wait for them all to be in the ground and growing tall!

No comments:

Post a Comment