Patrick ~ Alexis ~ Clayton ~ Maecie ~ Lucie



Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Greatest Man I Ever Knew

After going to school, having a career, starting a family, and creeping towards a new decade, I think I can safely say, in retrospect, there have been many turning points in my life. And by turning points, I mean little events that occurred that might not have seemed life changing at the time, but they really were. One of mine came at the age of 15ish.

It was Christmas and my large extended family was together. Often a round of karyoke or a request to "share talents" occurred before presents were opened. After one such event, my grandfather approached me concerning my love of music. He offered to pay for voice lessons, if I wanted. I have loved to sing since I was a little girl - singing in choirs and at church. When my grandparents moved to Atlanta, they gave us their piano so I could learn to play the piano. Now he was encouraging my love for music and offering voice lessons.

Looking back, this was a turning point in my life.  I began taking voice lessons, continued to practice my music and continued on to study music in college. It was this encouragement that led me to decide I wanted to teach music to others. I wanted to foster their love of music and give students the same encouragement my grandfather gave me.

Thinking back even further, my grandfather, that we call Papa Ed, would sing with us when we were little. He taught me a song with a funny story attached called "Show me the way to go home." In the song, a guy sings his song, goes into a bar, and a few drinks later, comes out singing it backwards. I remember trying over and over again to sing it backwards. I can still do it to this day!

As kids, my sister, Logan, and I would stay a week with Papa and Da (my grandmother) in  the summer. We would spend the days jumping on the trampoline, playing dress up, going for walks, and eating the yummy food Da would make! Papa would also let me help tend to the garden. He had cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers of all kinds. Growing things now gives me a sense of accomplishment. I think he helped to foster that.

My Papa was more than just an encouragement to my singing. He was an encouragement to live my life the way Heavenly Father planned. He was a great man to look up to and continually showed examples of service...not only to God but to everyone he met. Any time you saw him, he had some words of wisdom to share with you.

When Patrick and I were married, he was the one to perform our temple marriage ceremony. Without meaning to, he kept me from being too nervous. For one, because it was my Papa and he was talking to us like he would any other day. He expressed how proud he was of us and gave us advice on how to keep  our lives centered on Christ. And two, because he had a hard time pronouncing Patrick's last name, Beare. It's pronounced just like the animal, but the 'e' often throws people off. Papa kept saying "beer"! It was such a memorable and important day, and in his own way, he was able to make it even more memorable for us!

I come from a large family. Not only is my immediate family slightly larger than the norm, but my extended family is HUGE! What started with my grandparents, came 4 children, 17 grandchildren (and now almost all with spouses) and 39 and a half great-grandchildren! The larger we grow, the harder it is for us to all meet together. So my grandmother had us begin writing "memories" for Christmas. Every year we submit a memory that can have happened at any time in our lives. And we each get a copy of the one another's memories. It is the best way to share moments with one another and to feel a little closer, even when the miles are many!


At the beginning of July, Papa passed away. He suffered from dementia and you could notice a small decline over the last few years. I loved how he always knew that I belonged to him, he just might not be able to remember my name. He became ill and his body could not keep fighting. But he was at peace and "ready to meet Jesus". 


As the whole family got together to celebrate Papa's life, the grandchildren were asked to sing at his funeral. It was difficult, but we made it through two beautiful hymns. As I've previously mentioned, music has always been special to me. But since that day, every song I sing in church has a way of speaking to my heart just a little stronger. I think it's my Papa holding me a little closer to let me know that he is watching and that the choices I am making are the right ones. He was truly, the greatest man I have ever known! 
My grandmother with almost all of her 39 great grands!

2 comments:

  1. Home me the way to go show,
    I'm bed and I wanna go to tired,
    Had a little hour about a drink ago,
    and it head right to my went!

    Haha! Love that song! My grandpa taught me that song when I was little too! Something I will never forget. I find myself singing those same songs to Emma Kate :) Such Sweet memories for you to pass you to your three beautiful children! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Emily .. that's the one!! Love it that you know it too!! Aren't songs amazing like that ... that you can keep a memory so fresh just by listening or singing it! Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete