Patrick ~ Alexis ~ Clayton ~ Maecie ~ Lucie



Saturday, January 14, 2012

Then to Now

It came to me while we were in a public restroom (One of my most hated places, by the way! Does anyone else scream "GERMS!" as soon as they walk in?? Doesn't matter how often they clean those places, I want a shower as soon as we enter one!) and Clayton was at the sink washing his hands. He was putting his hand under the soap dispenser, wondering why there wasn't any soap coming out. Apparently he hasn't been around long enough to see soap dispensers where you actually have to press the button to allow to soap to come out.

Holy cow! What a change in generations! What else will my kid not experience in their life time?

Well, for one thing, they may never hear the dial tone of a home phone. They will never hear the sounds of dial-up internet. Will they even know what a CD really is?

I got a new phone this week ... entered the smartphone world with an iPhone 4S. There are still ton of apps and operations that I don't know how to do. However, within minutes of spotting my new phone, Clayton was able to unlock it, find the Angry Birds icon that his Dad so kindly loaded, and began playing. So long to my phone! He now can earn time on my phone by following directions and completing small chores. (I have also made sure to have some educational games as well.)

It's even more amazing to me that I did not even get a cell phone until my senior year of high school! What other things will my kids' generation not experience? Amazing how technology advances so quickly!

1 comment:

  1. I am so attached to my iphone...it's kind of ridiculous. :-)

    And Cara has figured out how to find her games too. Every time she sees my phone, she says, "I play games?" At least there are no tantrums when I say no (yet). I will say that the Starfall app has saved us during some long waits at restaurants though!

    ReplyDelete